Yesterday we featured our friend Chef Kim Mills, aka Laughter Travel Gourmet, as part of our Talented Tuesday series. As promised, today’s article is the recipe for the absolutely delicious lunch she made for us. Everything she brought was organic and locally grown, as both Rust and Fray and Kim believe that slow food is a key ingredient in the fight for the environment. We are very thankful she shared her delicious food with us and gave us the recipes to share her food with us. Please check out her Instagram for more delicious eats as well as amazing travel stories!
And now for lunch:
Watermelon and Cucumber Salad (serves 6)
-10-12 Sprigs of Fresh Mint Leaves (1/4 Cup of chopped fresh mint)
-Salt, Pepper, Oregano (to taste)
-1/2 Watermelon (Cut & Cubed into bite size pieces)
-2 Lg Cucumbers (Cut in half lengthwise & then cut into slices)
-1/4 C of Olive Oil
-1/4 C of Feta Cheese (Adjust to taste)
-1 Fresh Lime
1. In a small bowl combine seasonings (salt, pepper, oregano) and olive oil. This is your dressing.
2. In a large bowl combine cubed watermelon & cucumber slices.
3. Pour dressing over watermelon & cucumber mix. Gently toss.
4. Squeeze the juice of fresh lime over salad.
5. Top salad with feta cheese.
6. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 2hrs. prior to serving.
Grilled Peaches Flat Bread Pizza (serves 4-6)
1 1/2 C of All-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 Tsp of baking powder
1 Tsp Salt
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 C Milk (substitute milk alternative to personalize recipe)
Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix olive oil in to make some chunky bits. Make a well in the center and pour in milk. Mix. Knead 3-5 minutes.
Divide into 4 pieces and roll each out into a circle.
Heat a frying pan or cast-iron skillet over medium-high until hot. Cook each flatbread for about one minute on each side until bubbly and brown. Lay them on a wire rack or baking sheet.
Salt & Pepper (to taste)
1/4 C Olive Oil
1. *If you don’t have access to an outside grill, a cast iron grill pan will still give you those great grill marks!
2. Cut Peaches in 1/2. Brush with olive oil. Season with Salt& Pepper.
3. Place flesh side down in a hot pan brushed in oil & quickly cook. Remove from pan & reserve.
4. Once cooled, cut peach halves into slices.
2 Chicken Breasts (Season to taste) cook chicken accordingly, and slice into strips. For this recipe, I used seasonings I brought back from France
2 Cups Arugula
1 Small Shallot (thinly sliced)
1/4 C chopped Candied Walnuts
1/4 C Goat Cheese
1/2 Juice Fresh Lemon
1 C Balsamic Vinegar
1. Pour 1 C of Balsamic Vinegar in a small sauce pan.
2. Bring to a boil and then lower heat until it begins to simmer (about 10-12min).
3. Stir occasionally so reduction is smooth.
4. Your reduction is “done” when it coats the back of your spoon.
5. Reserve on the side until ready to use.
Directions for Salad & Flatbread:
1. In a large bowl combine: arugula, shallots, candied walnuts, fresh lemon juice, sliced chicken strips, season to taste (*This is your arugula salad)
2. *If needed rewarm flat bread in the oven for about 5-10min (325 degrees Fahrenheit)
3. Top Flatbread with Arugula Salad. Season with spices to taste.
4. Top with Grilled Peaches & goat cheese.
5. Drizzle Balsamic reduction over pizza!
6. EAT! Enjoy!
Hope you’re enjoying your culinary concoctions! Again, check our Laughter Travel Gourmet for more amazing organic food and other awesome content. And be sure to follow Rust and Fray’s Instagram, Facebook, and Journal to keep up with the world of sustainability. Like, comment, and share!